Friday, February 19, 2010

MCV FARM NEWS - 2.19.10 - To Decant, or Not to Decant???

Hey Ya'll,

       This week was a little more bearable as we were spared any serious snow accumulations.  Here on the East End we had a heavy dusting of snow, where as our neighbors to the west saw considerably more.  I was shocked upon driving to Franklin Square to see the amount of snow on the ground in Nassau County. 
       I had to travel to Franklin Square to meet with the folks from The Plattdeusche Restaurant to discuss a wine dinner that Martha Clara will be hosting in July.  Yeah, it seems hard to believe but we were discussing an evening of wine under the stars in July as we walked over piles of snow!  I am very much looking forward to this dinner in quite a magnificent place filled with history and culture.  I am also looking forward to warm summer evenings!
      ***SnAp****  Okay, well back to reality it is mid-February and I have "tasted" a good number of red wines this winter.  I am often asked, "should I decant my wines?"  Well, if you asked me this a few years ago I would have told you, "no."  Now we find wines being released sooner and I am beginning to understand the value of a good decanter.  With 3 decanters in the house all of a different shape I have had many decanting options and opportunities.  My findings have been that regardless of shape decanting is recommended!!!!  I find opening a cellar cooled red best if served decanted for about 1 hour prior to tasting.  If you doubt this, open a bottle of wine and pour a small glass out then decant the rest.  Immediately taste the glass you poured out and take note of its flavor.  Now, vigorously swirl the decanter to expose the wine to air and let stand for 1 hour.  After an hour pour a glass from the decanter and compare this to your non-decanted wine.  The decanted wine will be more expressive in regards to flavor and the tannins will have softened.  Please try it for yourself the next time you open a red wine, if you have not already done so or better yet maybe you already decant?. 
       If you do not finish the bottle the first night it can stay in the decanter for a day or two.  Most homes are on the cooler side this time of year and the wine will hold just fine.  It is important to keep the decanter opening covered when not in use.  Others have asked me, "What about the red staining in the decanter?"  Yeah, what about it?  That just indicates a decanter that gets used!  
     Well, that's all for now.  I have also been asked to tell you that the JuanMaker now has his own Facebook page and you should friend him at your leisure.  Catch ya'll later!!!

            - Juan.          

Posted via email from phermentation1's posterous

No comments: