Friday, April 3, 2009

Whole Lot of Bottling Going On!

Morning Ya'll,

Well, it seems that this year March was in like a lion and out like a lamb. April seems to have brought along its showers in 2009. I am hopeful that we will see a spring this year. I can honestly remember as a child having nice springs, where as in recent years it seems a light switch signals Winters' end and Summers' beginning.

In the vineyard the task of brush pulling and chopping continues. Jim has been taking more soil samples and ordered what will be the first soil additions made this year. We will be making many additions throughout the growing season. Our philosophy is to grow healthy well fed vines that in turn will have less susceptibility to vineyard pests.

The winery has been a buzz with lots of bottling going on. We have bottled the following 2008 wines: Rose', Riesling, Gewurtz, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, and Chardonnay. The screw capper has been working well and I am quite happy about the move we are making. During the day today I will prepare a little informational sheet about screw caps similar to the one that I created when we released Sabor. I know there will be many questions and if there is something you are unsure about please let me know. There will be many questions and thoughts from our customers. The main one will be, "What about the romance?" My answer to this is "If you need the cork for romance there are other issues going on..."

The main reason we are making this move is quality. I will explain more in my informational sheet. I will also send it via email so those of us that are unable to make it to the tasting room to read it.

I also want to mention to everyone that Martha Clara Vineyards is on Facebook and I will begin a Twitter account as soon as I get a new phone. This will hopefully happen in the next few days. So please have customers check us out on Facebook and Twitter. We will be offering special discounts on these two social networks.

Lastly, we will be offering a special flight of 2007 Reds in the tasting room for the month of May. Right now we are scheduled to be tasting the following wines: Syrah, Merlot, and Malbec. The Syrah and Merlot will have a futures discount available and the Malbec is the only sneek peek non-wine club members will have of this wine. The Malbec will only be a production of about 145 cases and will not be made in 2008. As I have mentioned before I will be making wines for the Wine Club Members only and this will be the first off the line. Talk with ya'll soon!

Cheers,
Juan