Friday, January 23, 2009

Fridgid Temps. and Industry Losses.

Hey Ya'll,

Morning. This is the first time I have written in the New Year, so happy New Year! The local news in recent weeks has been the loss of two integral members of our small industry. Christian Wolffer was the first tragic loss that we heard of in the New Year. The second loss of Robert (Bob) J. Palmer occurred just about one week ago. Both of these gentleman were quite influential to the industry in their own respects and will be missed.

Palmer was the first Long Island wine that I ever had. It also was the first winery that I visited on Long Island. Fresh out of college with thoughts of finding my "last" Summer job, before I started a "real" job in the Fall I headed out East. I applied for work at that time, but the then tasting room manager informed me they had no positions available. How times have changed... I am now a winemaker and my wife is now the tasting room manager at Palmer. Bob Palmer and Christian Wolffer will be missed.

The vineyard has been cold and the guys have been continuing the work in the vineyard. We are busy pruning away. The work they are doing is the framework for the 2009 Harvest. We are finished pruning all of the white varieties and are beyond the half-way point in the vineyard. Vineyard work is often under appreciated as winemaker's often take all of the credit. The fella's out there gear up every morning and take on the arduous task of pruning in these cold temperatures. When the temperature dips drastically the guys will not work, but it is still pretty cold out there. My hat's off to our guys in the vineyard!

Cheers,
Juan.